Friday, November 23, 2007

Dragon*Con 2007 Sunday report

The slow and sporadic posts recounting my trip to Dragoncon 2007 continues with the details of my Sunday activities at the four day convention in Atlanta Georgia.

After the late night festivities and libations at the Wolfpack party on Saturday, Sunday shaped up to be more sedate. I decided to get in line for one of the big panels in the big ballroom. The loss of some of the program space in the Marriott due to renovations combined with record attendance in the shape of full panels and the form of overcrowded common areas. I got in line an hour early for the "Star Trek: The Next Generation Reunion panel" and I think it was worth it. The panel was Brent Spiner, Jonathan Frakes and Gates McFadden. It was fun to watch them riff off the audience. Clearly they have done enough conventions to know all the questions, and know all the answers so they were going to have a good time with it.

After the panel, it was time for lunch so I made my inaugural visit to the newly opened Marriott High Velocity sports bar. The Bar looks fantastic. The food was good, but the service was ridiculously slow. The hotel knows the convention means a higher than normal number of people eating in the hotel over the weekend, and last year had hired additional staff and modified their shop hours to accommodate the demand. It didn't feel like they compensated enough this year.

Liquid Lunch
The beautiful High Velocity Bar


Still, I was in no rush, so I casually sat in the bar and drank, whenever the bartender thought to take my order and serve the drink. Aaron Douglas from Battlestar Galactica sat at the other end of the bar, being all cool. I met a rock guitar player named Scott Banks and we talked about how to be cool when chatting with the celebrities. I got my chance to try being cool myself when Nichelle Nichols comes in, clutching a bouquet of flowers and, while standing beside me, starts looking for a place to sit down. When she started to walk away, I took the chance and invited her to sit next to me. She laughed a little and politely declined. Shortly afterwords, she and her entourage was led to a private room, when the rest of the bar realized she was there, they gave her a short ovation. She smiled and waved like a homecoming queen. Such are the ways of Science Fiction Royalty.

After some milling about people watching, and other related Con oriented activities, our group decided to suit up as the Crew and Companions of the Airship Vertigo once more and attend the Harry Potter Yule Ball. We attended last year and had a good time, so we sought to bring some steampunk to the party. It was a lot of fun, despite not winning the costume contest as we all hoped. Since the Yule Ball is hosted by the Young Adult track, the party was dry, which was probably just as well given the liquidity of the weekend up to that point.

Some highlights from the Harry Potter Ball were the Slytherin outfitted Jay and Silent Bob, and the Whomping willow costume replete with stilts.

Slytherin Jay and Silent Bob Whomping Willow

My Sunday Flickr photos

Previously on Slashboing

No comments: