Wednesday, June 13, 2007

If the world ended today, how would I know?

I spent the bulk of the day at work in my generic industrial park office. The florescent lights reflect off the whiteboards, flattening out the room to gradient shades of beige. The power flickered a few times today, I guess that's normal. I share the room with three other people, and although we all face the centre, more or less, we don't really make eye contact or talk much. It's not that we don't get along, we just have nothing to say to each other most of the time.

Traffic was light, but I was passed by two ambulances, and at least 7 police cars. I don't know what is up, so I drove to the mall. I found it mostly empty, which is typical for a middle of the week summer evening. Many of the stores took to rolling down their security shutters early. Some had water damage from last week's flood, some were understaffed due to the labour shortage. Some stores had whole crews not show up today for no good reason.

Coming home I watched some reruns and skipped the news. There could be riots downtown, but I wouldn't know because I'm watching a movie on cable. My neighbours are all fairly quiet today. I guess I shouldn't complain. They are usually stomping around like they are trying to raise the dead. Now all I hear is them scratching on the walls and moaning. I don't want to know what they are up to.

The cable eventually went out, and the power is threatening to quit all together now. They must be repairing the damage from all the rain lately. I'll save this now, go to bed, and see what tomorrow brings.

Who's the zombie now?

No comments: